1. No purchase is necessary.
2. Eligibility: The Big Wild, Big Water contest is open to all residents of Canada who have reached the age of majority in their Province of residence, except employees of Mountain Equipment Co-op.
3. Contest Period: Starting on 12:00 a.m., Pacific Time, September 8, 2012 to 11:59 p.m., Pacific Time, September 30, 2012. Canadians enter the contest by uploading a photo and submitting their contact details to the contest website. The photo must have been taken by the contestant in Canada. The contestant must own the copyright to the photo.
4. Contest Entry: Upon completion and submission, eligible Canadians will be entered into the Contest for one (1) chance to win (i.e. one entry) the Prize. There is no limit to the number of photos a contestant can submit.
5. Awarding of Prize: The Prize will be awarded to the contestant whose contact information (name, telephone number or email address, address) has been given by the entrant at time of completion of the survey or indicated on the mail in entry and who has complied with these Rules.
6. Prize: There are two prizes to be awarded. The prizes are as follows:
* The best outdoor activity photo--swimming, kayaking, canoeing, whatever (though it has to be water in liquid form--no snowboarding or glaciers, please)--wins the Banff Prize Pack. This includes two Banff Mountain Film and Book Festival VIP passes including accommodation at the Banff Centre (one room for three nights), up to $1000 toward two economy class tickets to travel to Banff, tickets for two people to the films and presentations and invitations to some private social functions with festival guests. If the winning recipient does not wish to use these tickets, they are free to transfer them to another person or to decline them. If they decline them, they are entitled to a $500 MEC gift card.
* The best scenic photo wins a $500 MEC gift card.
7. Odds: The odds of being randomly selected to win a prize depend on the total number of eligible entries received during the Contest Period.
8. Winner selection: There are two categories: Best Photo of Outdoor Activity and Best Scenic Photo. The Big Wild staff will select ten finalists for each category. Those finalists will be voted on by committee of judges with representatives from Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society, Mountain Equipment Co-op and The Banff Centre. The judges will reach a consensus on their favourite photo in each category.
9. Notification of Selection: The selected Customers will be contacted by email or mail (using the contact information provided by contestant at time of entering the Contest) at least three (3) times within the seven (7) days after the winners are selected. If the selected contestant cannot be contacted in that time, another contestant will be selected and the initial selected contestant will be disqualified and will have no recourse towards The Big Wild, Mountain Equipment Co-op or anyone involved in the Contest. In order to win, the selected Customer must first correctly answer, unaided, a time-limited, mathematical, skill-testing question to be administered by telephone, and he or she will be required to sign a standard Declaration and Release Form confirming compliance with the Contest Rules, acceptance of the Prize as awarded and releasing Mountain Equipment Co-op and The Big Wild from all liability relating to the Contest.
10. Each Prize claim is subject to verification by The Big Wild and/or its designated representatives. All Contest entries obtained through unauthorized sources or which are incomplete, illegible, mutilated, altered, reproduced, forged, irregular or fraudulent in any way or otherwise not in compliance with these Rules are automatically void. The Big Wild will be the sole and final reference source in validating a Prize claim.
11. By participating, each Customer and selected winner agrees: (a) to be bound by these Rules and the decisions of The Big Wild, (b) to release and hold harmless The Big Wild, its affiliates, subsidiaries, and independent contractors, and their respective directors, officers, employees, agents and representatives including advertising and promotion agencies, from any and all liability for claims/damages including, but not limited to, claims/damages for personal injury, for property damage with respect to acceptance, possession or use or misuse of the Prize or participation in the Contest; (c) to permit The Big Wild to use his/her name and submitted photos or any likeness for advertising or publicity purposes without any additional compensation and (d) the winner agrees to sign a Declaration and Release Form to this effect.
12. The decisions of The Big Wild in relation to this Contest will be final and binding on all entrants.
13. The Big Wild shall not be responsible for incorrect or inaccurate transcription or registration of Contest entry information, technical malfunctions, lost/delayed data transmission, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, faulty, incomplete, incomprehensible, or erased computer or network transmissions, line failures of any telephone network, failure of computer equipment, software, inability to access any online service or web site, inability to submit the online survey, or any other error or malfunction, or any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Contest, or for late, lost, stolen, postage due, illegible or misdirected entries.
14. The Big Wild reserves the right to cancel, terminate, or suspend this Contest, at its sole discretion, in the event of a technical failure, computer virus or bug, unauthorized human intervention, fraud or any other occurrence or cause beyond its control that corrupts or adversely affects the administration, security, fairness or normal operation of the Contest, subject, in Quebec, to the approval of the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux.
15. Under no circumstances will The Big Wild, its affiliates, subsidiaries, and independent contractors, and their respective directors, officers, employees, and agents, including advertising and promotion agencies be required to award more Prizes than what is indicated in these Rules or award the Prizes other than in accordance with these Rules.
16. The Contest is subject to all Federal, Provincial and local laws, as well as the rules adopted in view of said laws. The personal information provided to enter the Contest will be used only to administer the Contest, and for no other reason.
17. For Quebec residents, any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
18. For a copy of the Contest Rules, please write to:
The Big Wild
℅ Mountain Equipment Co-op
149 West 4th Avenue,
Vancouver BC V5Y 4A6